Friday, February 5, 2010

This cracked me up!

This is more Lisa's story to tell, but it was so funny, I can't wait! I was substituting for a Special Needs class (this week) at Skyline.  They didn't need me, so I went in to help grade papers for Lisa.
The kids are reading Huck Finn.  Now, you have to remember that it is written in the dialect of the way they speak, which can be a little bit confusing to someone that has never read about Bra'r Bear and Bra'r Rabbit.

So, you have Huck trying to convince Jim about King Solomon's wisdom.  Jim replies, "Does you know 'bout dat chile dat he uz gwyne to chop in two?"

Lisa gave the kids a test over their reading.  One of the questions was "Why does Jim doubt the wisdom of King Solomon?"

One boy wrote, " Because he says that "cutting the pepper in half" doesn't really help anyone."
I handed the paper to Lisa and said, "Huh?"
She called the boy over and said, "What do you mean about cutting the pepper in half."
He said, "You know.......like Jim talked about cutting that pepper in half."  Again confusion.  Then the light dawned as he said, 'You know, the CHILE pepper.'  Lisa and I burst out laughing.  It wasn't a chile as in chile pepper, it was a chile as in Child!

5 comments:

Michaelangelo said...

That is hilarious!

Lisa Thornbrue said...

It was funny ... :-)

angel said...

Very funny! That IS a little hard to read! I don't know if I would have been able to descipher it without the context clues.

Lori Thornbrue said...

Well, they are reading the entire book, and this was just a chapter test....They should be getting fairly familiar with the dialogue by now....(Chapter 8/9)

Lloyd Family said...

Very funny indeed!