Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tuesday at Grand Cayman


Grand Cayman Island from our ship-it was cloudy in the morning, but cleared and was beautiful!

On the tender heading to Grand Cayman Island looking back at our magnificent ship. We slept on the 11th story!! It had 18 stories. Th 7th had a deck all the way around which was a fabulous place to take a walk or a jog---1/2 mile once around!

Our first view on Grand Caymen was this very tall man!!!

On Grand Caymen, we rented a car. We drove all the way around the island. We didn't stop to get a picture of the church there, but it was 'Mormon church shape' so easily recognizable, but it was painted a bright yellow. I wanted a picture, but wasn't the one driving!!! One had to be careful when you parked anywhere--hence the above sign!!

This was the first place we went snorkeling. We had the fins and the masks, but no flotation devices. The dark places in the water were seaweed beds that were very close to the surface...so you could go WAY out a long way. I got out past all the dark and into the turquoise, and then I got a mouth/nose full of water. {Extremely salty} I realized that I was tired, and I kind of went into a panic and thought I was going to drown. It wasn't too thrilling.......but I managed to turn around and head for shore, snorkeling all the way. Later when we snorkeled with life jackets on, that was thrilling. I could have stayed out all day!!! Something akin to swimming in a salt water aquarium. Quite a magnificent world under the water!

First time I'd ever seen a poinsettia growing in the wild. Merry Christmas!

Mom and Stephanie walking along the path lined with Conch shells

A beautiful, secluded place along a river

Beautiful orchids everywhere

Dad and I enjoyed looking at the fruit trees. Most were not in season yet, but this was a Calabash tree. Wonder if calabash tastes good, and what color it is when ripe?

If you look really hard, you can see the little bird with the yellow belly. They flew and flitted so fast it was hard to get a good picture......they were so cute!

There were tons of these cute little birds with yellow bellies flying all over. Sweet.

I thought this looked like a prehistoric plant with man eating capabilities!

We heard a rustling in the underbrush as we were walking through the woods, and we saw this very angry looking crab--walking sideways as crabs do, and very unhappy that we had invaded his territory. I've never heard of a dry land crab!

This is called a 'Blue Iguana'.......looked like all the other gray ones we saw!

On the tender heading back to the ship from a fun day in Grand Cayman

1 comment:

Allie Thornbrue said...

Wonderful entries. I think Steve looks quite handsome in the picture of him showing his chocoolate something-or-other.